The Doan Creek Trail Race is the first and only ultra trail racing event that takes place in the City of Cleveland. The course is nestled between suburban and city streets in an inspiring gorge that contains much natural beauty. It is arguably the hardest 50K in North Eastern Ohio.
This is a very special and unique running urban trail experience in a hidden and mysterious area known to very few NE Ohio residents. There are no known published maps of this trail system. It starts around the Lower Shaker Lake and once it crosses west past Coventry Road descends into the gorge of Doan Creek (Brook). The course undulates in a narrow corridor between several busy suburban streets but once within the gorge you will be overwhelmed with a sense of being transported to a remote location. Urban ruins mixed with the natural raw beauty of the Doan Creek set this apart from other local trail events. The geological history of the gorge traces back thousands of years. This is where the earliest Cleveland settlers dwelt in the early 1800s.
THIS IS TECHNICAL and HARD!!!!!! Expect to finish more than an hour beyond your average 50K time.
Doan Creek Course Features:
– Mostly single track and gnarly punishing trail
– Several road crossings (No asphalt otherwise)
- Rolling hills
– 800+ ft of gain per loop and 3200+ ft over 50K
– Immense rock walls
– Narrow ledges and steep drop offs
– Cascading waterfalls
– Car wreckage
– Flood retention concrete dam and culverts
- Post apocalyptic ruins
– Urban art work
- Abundant wild life
– Starts and ends at beautiful Lower Shaker Lake
– Fully supported Aid Station
– Cool swag
– Handsome medals for finishers
– First place awards for the 25 and 50K (Male and Female)
While it’s a free race, there are strings attached however. The event will provide a first rate running experience for its participants but they must give back by doing two or more of the following:
1) DOANate to our charity Girls with Sole.
2) DOANate to Doan Brook Watershed Partnership
3) DOANate time to our Environmental Clean Up Program
The Hills were Alive and Beautiful!
This was my first time running this race and me and my friend went super slow and just had a good time and took tons of pics. The course is … MORE
This was my first time running this race and me and my friend went super slow and just had a good time and took tons of pics. The course is beautiful, everyone was friendly and just had a great time. Next year I think I will try the 25K or 50K.