All Hell Creek 100 runs will take place on the Switchgrass Mountain Bike Trail at Wilson State Park. The 100 has the most elevation gain and loss of any 100 miler in Kansas! If you’re looking for a challenging course in the “flatlands” you’ve found it. We are very excited to give you the opportunity to run on this amazing trail. The trail is easy to follow rugged single track with very few trees/wooded areas. We believe this will be a fantastic addition to the other amazing ultra-events already being put on in KS. Beautiful views of Wilson State Park and Wilson Lake are plentiful.
KS 100 Milers Elevation Gain Stats
Hell Creek 100 – 10,120 feet
Hawk Hundred – 9,360 feet
Heartland 100 – 6,000 feet
KRT Extravaganza 100 – 1,541 feet
Prairie Spirit 100 – 1,541 feet
Honey Badger 100 – 1,332 feet
Pure Hell 140 Mile Race
The Pure Hell 140 is the LONGEST race in Kansas!
A previous 100-mile finish is required for sign-up for THE PURE HELL 140 (any 100-mile race will do). If you have a completed a 100 on ultrasignup feel free to just sign-up. If you have completed a 100 miler (that you can prove) that was not listed on ultrasignup please reach out to us prior to sign-up to learn what steps to take.
The races will consist of 20(ish) mile loops with no repetition. One loop for 20 milers, three loops for 100k runners, 5 loops for 100 milers, and 7 loops for 140 milers. Switchgrass is a purely single-track trail so we will start the runners about a ½ mile from the trailhead to give everyone a chance to spread out. After that, it is 100% trail-running.
The course will be heavily marked with ribbons and wrong-way signs. This is an extremely easy course to follow. Getting off course should be of no issue.
Aid Stations – There will be two aid stations. One you will have the opportunity to visit twice per loop. The main aid station will be at the start finish and the other will be around 10.5 miles and 16.75 miles of the loop. Both will include your typical aid station items – food (vegan options), water, soda, and electrolyte drink. The main aid station will have some hot food items as well. There will likely be 1 unmanned water station as well (mile 5). We will do our best to take care of you, however this is an ultra-marathon so you won’t be pampered. Please make sure you are adequately prepared.
Restrooms/showers – There are restrooms at the start/finish, and we will have a porta-potty (or two) near the other full aid. There are hot showers open year-round at Big Bluestem campground, about 3/4 mile from the start/finish.
Photography: We WILL have professional photography at the race! All pictures will be available for FREE download within 1-2 weeks of the race.
Awards – 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place male and female in each distance will receive special awards.
Swag – Correct shirt sizes are not guaranteed for entries within 2 weeks of the race. Entries within 2 weeks for the 100 will not have their name on the vest. Additional merchandise can be purchased on ultrasignup.com.
- 20 milers – Shirt with race logo/sponsors and a drawstring bag. Finishers will receive a distance-specific medal and a beer from Wichita Brewing Co.
- 100k – Shirt with race logo/sponsors and Hell Creek duffel bag. Finishers will receive a distance-specific 100k buckle and a beer from Wichita Brewing Co.
- 100 milers – Shirt with race logo/sponsors, duffel bag, and a Hell Creek 100 mile fleece. Finishers will receive a distance-specific 100-mile buckle and beer from Wichita Brewing Co. Sub-24 hour finishers will receive a sub-24 buckle in place of the traditional 100-mile buckle.
- 140 milers – Pure Hell 140 long sleeve shirt, Pure Hell 140 duffel bag, and Pure Hell puffy jacket.
- Additional small freebie items will likely be included in swag bags.